On your next visit to Bluegreen at Atlantic Palace, find out why Atlantic City is one of the most popular vacation destinations in the world. With a population of almost 40,000 people, the bustling New Jersey resort town is famous for its sparkling beaches, casino gambling, and the Atlantic City Boardwalk. The most traveled boardwalk in America, this landmark was a perfect inspiration for the wildly popular Parker Brothers board game MONOPOLY®.
An American Landmark
The famous Atlantic City Boardwalk was developed to keep sand out of the lobbies of beachfront hotels back in the early 1900s. Travelers flocked to the newly constructed walkway, which extended over seven miles until a hurricane chopped it down to about four miles. Just like in MONOPOLY®, Atlantic City experienced a boom in hotel and house construction in the early part of the twentieth century. Tourists began to fill up the rooms in the hotels and resorts in the Atlantic City Boardwalk area, and the rest is history.
Atlantic City as a Inspiration for Monopoly
Using his childhood vacations to the New Jersey resort town as inspiration, Charles Darrow created the game of MONOPOLY® in 1935. All of the “real estate” for sale in the board game is named for real life Atlantic City streets. At the height of the Great Depression, many unemployed American workers gravitated to the game that promised fame and fortune. Word spread and the sales took off. Monopoly has gone on to become the most commercially successful board game in American history, boasting over 485 million players around the world. Atlantic City residents have embraced the board game, and landmarks and plaques dedicated to the game can be found all around the city.
Fun Facts About Monopoly:
- Since 1935, over 5,120,000,000 little green house pieces have been built for the game.
- The game is sold in 103 countries and is produced in 37 languages.
- The longest MONOPOLY® game ever played totaled 1,680 hours. That equates to an astounding 70 straight days!
- Worldwide, more than 250 million sets of the MONOPOLY® game have been sold.
- $15,140 is the total amount of money found in a standard MONOPOLY® game.
- The three most-landed-on properties are Illinois Avenue, “GO” and the B&O Railroad.